Published on October 15th, 2014 | by Aaron Hart0
Planning for Integration: Fitness Pentathlon
This week I’m posting a short bonus article to share an academic integration idea with you. It includes a short 1-page discussion of the standards- and outcomes-based process I used when developing the activity. Please review these resources and comment with your thoughts and ideas around the topic. I would love to hear how you plan for meaningful integration.
Fitness Pentathlon (Super Quick Instructions):
- Students work in pairs or small group, each group with a Fitness Pentathlon Worksheet.
- The use of heart rate or pulse monitors is required. Here are a few options for managing the use of HRM technology
- Each student has a heart rate monitor.
- Each group has a pulse monitor.
- One student per group has a heart rate monitor and data is collected on only one student.
- One or two pulse monitors are placed in an assessment area. Students move to the area to check their heart rate at the appropriate times.
- OR, students could check their pulse the old-fashioned way and record their results. We recommend a 10-second timed pulse count (multiplied by 6 to get BPM).
- Students complete the worksheet and a debrief session is conducted with the entire class.
Fitness Pentathlon Resources:
- Fitness Pentathlon Worksheet: [PDF, WORD]
- Standards & Outcomes Overview [PDF, WORD]
- Fitness Pentathlon Icon: [PNG]
- Heart Rate Monitor Solutions [HRMs, Pulse Monitors]